The construction of Sewart Air Base (originally known as Smyrna Air Base) was ordered in December, 1941 shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Deactivated in July 1947, it was reactivated as a an Air Force base in August, 1948 to serve the newly established United States Air Force.
On March 25, 1950, the base was renamed after Major Allan J Sewart Jr., a Nashville native. Major Sewart was killed in action during a bombing mission in the South Pacific in 1942. More information on the base renaming can be found here.
Through the years the base served as a training base and the sole base for the C-130 Hercules. The base closing was announced on December 9, 1965 and on March 9, 1970, the last C-130 left the runway at Sewart.