In Smyrna’s earliest days, education was provided at a number of small schools throughout the area. A lot of the early schools were started as private institutions.
It is thought that Walnut Grove School was in operation between the years of 1830 and 1900. It was located at the intersection of Jefferson Pike and Sam Ridley Parkway, the current location of Stones River Baptist Church. Oscar Davis, a sibling of Sam Davis, was thought to attend Walnut Grove along with members of the Nelson and Gooch families.