One of the earliest families arriving in Rutherford County was the Adkerson Family. They settled in the area that was to become “Old Jefferson” where the east & west forks of Stones River merge (known as Adkerson Bend). The original family home was built in the area of present-day Harbor Drive, across from the Jefferson Springs boat ramp.
In 1965, the Corp of Engineers purchased the “Home Place” and 6.75 acres of “woodlands”. Yet, today, a portion of the originally settled lands are still in the family. John and Loyce Adkerson make their home on some of the original acreage near Jefferson Pike. Their research has shown that the land has been in the family since (at least) 1802, spanning at least 5 generations.
When the property was impounded for the creation of Percy Priest Lake, the family cemetery was moved to Mt. Juliet by the Corp of Engineers. Known to have been buried in the Adkerson Cemetery were: Samuel Tucker (1846-1870) and Maud Rose Adkerson (2/17/1872-9/12/1872).
Many thanks to John for sharing his family history!!